Saturday, April 16, 2011

Meet Brodie

A couple of weeks ago, after receiving another email from Lake County Animal Control about dogs scheduled to be euthanized due to lack of space, we (and when I say "we", I really mean "Robin," Fosterer Extraordinaire) offered to take any dog who was good with dogs and cats, since Robin has both.

Generally, when we make this kind of open offer, we get pits, pit mixes, nondescript black dogs, older dogs, or dogs with some quality that makes them harder to adopt--always wonderful, lovable dogs, just bearing an appearance that most adopters aren't looking for. And those are exactly the kinds of dogs we try to help -- the ones that are overlooked.

It speaks volumes about the desperate number of unwanted pets lingering in overcrowded shelters that the dog Lake County gave to us this time was this fellow:




Eventually dubbed Brodie, he is currently a 5-month old, 35lb fox hound or coon hound mix. A happy-go-lucky boy.

Brodie, along with an SUV full of other rescued dogs, traveled from Lake County to Marin to Oakland, where I picked him up and eventually got him to Sacramento. I say "eventually" because somewhere along the way between Fairfield and Sacramento, my phone hit my GPS and redirected me back home to Antioch without me realizing it until I hit Martinez. So what was supposed to be a 2.5 hour ride in traffic between Oakland and Sacramento became a 3.5 hour ride in traffic.



Good thing Brodie was great in the car and spent most of the ride napping. My back was almost killing me by the time we got to Robin's place, but Brodie was rearing to go.













Brodie is your typical lovable puppy. Mischievous, good natured, and a total lap dog. He was just neutered and will hopefully find his perfect home soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Brodie, and for Robin and Judy!

I am impressed that he's a hound mix, and he is okay w/cats. He's a handsome son-of-a-gun! I hope (and trust) that he'll find his forever home, soon.

Linda of Bo (the hound mix)

magnifique said...

I'm crossing my fingers that my application gets the green light and I get to meet him next week!