Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Chance Meeting

July 9: I was at the Martinez Animal Shelter on Tuesday morning (July 8). While I was at the counter, I noticed behind us in line a young couple with a beautiful puppy. I mean this dog was really striking in appearance, and that was enough to garner attention. But what really got me was his stance. His head was bowed, his shoulders hunched, his body was leaning ever so slightly up against the young man accompanying him. They were standing in line for over half an hour and not a sound did he make nor hardly a movement. He was obviously overwhelmed and scared.

At first I thought the couple was adopting him and was happy to imagine that. But then I overheard them tell a volunteer that the pup had been abandoned in front of the vet office where the girl worked with a sign that read "Need a Loving Home." That's when I realized that rather than taking the little guy away from the frightening shelter, they were about to leave him there. My heart simply broke.

I happened to have my camera with me and took a couple of pictures of him, telling the couple that I would post him online in the hopes that someone would rescue him soon. When I knelt down before him and held out my hand to him, spoke soft words and petted him, his tail wagged just a tiny bit. My heart crumbled a little more.





I heard the couple say that he was a german shepherd / husky mix, 10 months old, although he looked to me only 6 months old. He looked about 30-35 lbs.

I have been checking the shelter's website daily to see if I might catch another glimpse of him, see how he might be doing. And today I saw him posted, looking even sadder and more scared.



JUNO - ID#A536152

My name is Juno and I am described as a male, sable German Shepherd Dog mix. You will find me in Kennel # N11 .

The shelter thinks I am about 9 months old.

I have been at the shelter since Jul 08, 2008.



For more information about this animal, call:
Contra Costa County Animal Services - Martinez at (925) 335-8300
Ask for information about animal ID number A536152




Juno, as it appears he's been named is not yet on the adoptable list. I'm unsure what the process is but I hate the thought of him spending a minute frightened at the shelter longer than he has to be. I so wanted to bring him home but with 3 dogs already, including a foster, I couldn't.

I am hoping that somebody reads this and falls a little in love with him as I already have and gets him out of there as soon as possible.

Please help Juno.

0 comments: