Tuesday, March 24, 2009

RIP

We all know they are out there, whether or not we ever see their faces, the countless number of abandoned pets left to fend for themselves or simply to die. Sometimes when I really think about it, I feel overwhelmed by the sheer endlessness of it. I have to remind myself that I can't save them all, that my purpose isn't to save them all. My purpose is to help as best as I can the ones I can.

But know that doesn't stop my heart from crying out and my tears from flowing when I see yet another dog that, in a way, we have all failed.

Tonight, I came across a particular Craiglist posting. There are numerous heart-wrenching pleas on behalf of urgent dogs at various shelters at any given time. You know they will not all be saved. But the impact of that knowledge is completely different when you actually see the face of one whose time ran out.

I know nothing about this particular rescue, but the posting just really touched me. Here is part of it.

ELMORE R.I.P. NOW JUST TWO DOGS REMAIN (Dogtown Rescue)


“…Did an angel whisper in your ear And hold you close and take away your fear In those long last moments…” -Lucinda Williams / Lake Charles

It's such a sad, empty feeling to try and save a dog and fail... just awful.

Elmore / Kennel #16 (R.I.P.) - 1 year old, altered male came in stray. OK with other dogs but is dominate. Pit Bull Terrier

The bad thing about being an abandoned dog is you find out the hard way that loyalty is a one-way street that dead-ends at the shelter, with little hope of getting out alive. If you really want to make a difference, here's you chance. Please open your heart and home to one these sweet dogs. Thank you for thinking about a shelter dog.






Rest in peace, Elmore.

0 comments: