Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Allergies -- Maybe

Poor Popeye's been itching for months. Now he's starting to shake his head because his ears are itching, especially the left. His scratching and shaking wakes me up early every morning and he licks and scratches throughout the day. He's licking and shaking his head as I type. All tests came back negative. No mites, no bacteria, no infection, no yeast.

Benadryl didn't work.
Hydroxyzine (prescribed antihistamine) didn't work.
Chiropractic didn't work.
Accupuncture didn't work.
Bicom doesn't seem to be working, but I'll give it one last chance on Saturday.
Antronex doesn't seem to help.
Allerplex doesn't seem to help.
Chinese herbs don't seem to help.
Genesis steroid topical spray seems to help just a little.
Mupirocin antibiotic ointment doesn't seem to make a difference.

Desperation kicked in long ago, but now it's starting to go into overdrive.

Today we try Atopica. The pills aren't cheap, but after reading these reviews, I am hopeful.

"Then maybe Foster Mum will stop putting this sissy pink cable knit scarf on me to keep me from rubbing my neck against the carpet."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i hate to give you ONE more vet to try, but i just heard a good thing about this wholistic vet who supports a raw diet:
Sarah Skiwski, DVM
San Jose, CA
408.265.4503
http://www.thewesterndragon.com

I got the info from: http://leerburg.com/holisticvets.htm?news=05112009#California

and my friend just went there for his husky with Pica (eats anything and irratable bowl syndrome) and really liked her. combination of western and eastern medicine... maybe one more to try?

fosterdogblog said...

Egads, San Jose. Don't relish that 1.5 hour drive each way (without traffic), probably once a week. I think I'm going to take a break from "alternative" medicine now. It's been almost 6 months, over a thousand dollars, hundreds and hundreds of miles driven and hours spent, and none of it has helped. I'll save the link (thank you for it!!) and may try her down the road, but I think I've earned a "quick fix" by now.